Monday 8 April 2013

Learning Agreement

Learning Agreement:
Here is a not so brief overview of the work i plan to complete for this project. i split it into a what, why and how to better cover everything i need to do. pending a discussion with tutors, i hope to include work from an extra curricular project (a side scrolling platformer game that i am involved in making) called "The Wanderer: Tears of Irigo", as i am putting in allot of time into the creation of this game, and it has become a large part of my learning path towards the career that i am aiming for. My overall objective is to build an indie game studio using this game as a starting point.


What?
For Ba6, I intend to produce a series of concept art for a primary video game character, and an accompanying creature. This will be submitted in the form of character sheets and supporting artwork. I will back up this work, by producing a 3d model of the character, that has been diffuse, normal, and occlusion mapped. By creating environmental concept and mood paintings, I will give context to the character artwork and model I will produce, I will need to develop a greater understanding of artistic fundamentals, use of colour, light, form, and line.  I do not intend to import my character to a game engine, as it will lack the relevant rigging and animation that would make it a “playable” character; I will present the model in a turntable video reel.
 I will put particular emphasis on working to a video game industry production pipeline, to do this, I will write myself a design brief, in a similar style and depth that an in house artist would get. My work will be based around the theme of “Symbiosis”,
My character and creature will be appropriate to a fantasy setting. However, I will do research into genre and sub-genre, and other elements that contribute to aesthetics, to make sure that my work is appropriate.


Example: (Final character sheet; Marcus Phoenix) i want to do a main character because they tend to be more interesting to design than an NPC (non player character), the model of the character would also have a higher allotted poly-budget than an npc (npc's usually having around 6000 polys and principle characters being more in the region of 10000, dependent on on the type of title and publisher ect.

Why? 
My reason for designing two beings is that I will be able experiment with visual coherence of my work, between the environment, character, and creature. I find the idea of symbiosis particularly interesting as it allows me to visually explore a close relationship between game characters and their surroundings, including other creatures. I feel this is particularly important for an inherently interactive medium like video games. It is important to look at how, as an artist, I can achieve coherent designs that show the player that they belong in the same world, what gives visual cues to the player so that I know not only what to do to achieve this, but also why I should do it.
I also want to create designs that are purposeful and reflective of the character, rather than purely to produce an appealing aesthetic. It is important that my work express said characters personality, and history, through visual means. I will only be turning one of my designs into a 3d model so that I can polish that one to a high standard.
My personal focus as an artist is experimentation, of both design and means.

Food for thought...


(Winslow Homer "Hound and Hunter")
or...


(Jon Howe "The Dark Tower" - a potential direction for a rider and steed concept, the title can be open, and leave allot of interpretation. The designs in this painting are an excellent example of visual coherence. 


How? 
I will define an open sub theme, or title within the idea of “symbiosis” (such as “hunter and hound” or “rider and steed”), this will give my art more of a direction, and help me to narrow down my design choices.
The model I will create will be largely to show me that that the design that the design I have created works when translated into a 3d character. Any changes I have to make in the transition from 2 to 3d will help me to assess the areas of my concept art and design I will need to work on in order to produce designs that will work as game characters.
I will look at symbiotic relationships in nature, how they work, their effects, and their reason for coexistence, as well as the benefits that symbiotic organisms receive or give. I will then look at how this translates into visual coherence or difference.
I will find examples of industry pipelines and work flow to direct the appropriate procedure and technique, (silhouettes or thumbnails ect) I will need to use to design my character, develop, and refine it to make it ready, and viable as a 3d model. I will use a variety of different, appropriate tools and programs, depending on the piece of work in question.
I will present and submit my 2d design process in a chronological document, ending with a character sheet as I would produce it if it were being handed on to a separate 3d modeller, as well as my final character sheets

Schedule of work:
I will complete this work alongside my work for the Brainchild project (the game i mentioned earlier). For said project I will be working on creating a tech demo for a side scrolling 3d platformer that I am making in a group with 9 other GAD students.  My role in the project is “Lead Artist”, I am taking on a directorial role, guiding the visual style/ mood of the game (mostly in accordance with my own vision for the game), managing the design and production of concept art and mood paintings, as well as 3d assets and textures. I produce concept artwork for every area of the game; I also create and design assets for the game. This is why it’ useful for me to maintain and practise broad skill set, in Ba6.
My ability to direct, with clarity but also with realistic expectations will be better if I have an understanding, and more importantly, experience of the entire process of production that I will be overseeing. However this is a large commitment to my time, and as such I do not want to
My schedule will depend on the pipeline I choose to work with; as such it is liable to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment